The first job was to arrange the blocks into a pleasing arrangement. Luckily we were able to use Clipston Village Hall's large tables to do this. There was such a variety of block designs and diferent fabrics, but everyone had kept to the stipulated autumn colours, so it wasn't difficult to make them play nicely together. Then we hit the first snag.
Di started to square up the blocks and found one where the maker had thought the measurements were 12" raw edge, rather than 12" finished, and had already cut the block to 12". We scratched our heads, but there was nothing we could do to include it, as if we cut the other blocks to 12" we would cut off all the points! Luckily Gill had sent a spare, so we will use the 12" block for the label!
Ruth, Lynda and Di began to join the blocks into rows, when the next snag was found. There was a hole in one of the blocks. Either it was poor foundation-piecing or heavy handed cutting. To my embarrassment, it was my block! (I was able to find more fabric and make good the block later!) All good things come in threes, and the next snag was a block which had a black felt tip stain on one side. This was found to be Ruth's block, and despite careful washing, the stain couldn't be removed. Luckily, it was right on the edge and once it was sewn into its row, the stain was contained in the seam allowance! Hooray!
We decided to make the top easier to quilt, by dividing it into three sections, and joining them together later. We had worked so hard that there was even time to layer up the sections. Di and Jane were delighted that we had accomplished so much in the time. Thanks to all the block-makers, and we'll have the whole quilt ready soon.