Tuesday 22 May 2012

May meeting

This month we were delighted to welcome the very talented Gwenfai Rees Griffiths.  Despite assuring us that she was just a farmer's wife and mother of three, we easily sussed her out!  Her award-winning quilts rather gave her away! 
Her inovative designs and use of bright colours quite took our breath away.  We can hold our own though, and showed our skills during show and tell.

Betty is modestly showing her chenille bag.  A beautiful design.

Here is my Barbara Brackman Civil War quilt.  It was a 'block a week' series last year and kept me pretty busy.  I'm amazed I kept up with it, although I called a halt at 48 different blocks!

This is a Linus quilt I had great fun making from a design on the website www.15minutesplay.com  I used leftover blocks and components for the border.
The recent challenge for the members of Flutterwheels has been the Rebecca Collins Lucky Dip quilt.  Everyone started with shared fabrics, and then made blocks with one large half square triangle and five small ones. From left to right you can see Liz's, Stephanie's and Bunty's.  Amazing that they are made from the same components!

And here is mine.  Interesting too that Liz and I chose the same grey-green fabric to use as a border!

Bunty thoughtfully brought her Country Sampler to show.  This was designed by Gwenfai and serialised in Patchwork and Quilting magazine a few years ago.  It's stunning!
This applique quilt is fabulous!  The colours are unusual and complement the design perfectly.

This quilt is a fund-raiser for a prostate cancer charity and made from men's ties!  The designs run from frogs to snowmen and golfers to computers.  Apparently the fabric with purple condoms on it was not included - I can't imagine why, as I would have thought it was perfect!
Jan made this snowball and nine-patch quilt for her grandson.  It's very striking.

Liz made this charming Linus quilt from an old duvet cover!  She only added the dark blue border, using the duvet fabric for backing and binding too!  Very clever.

Ruth had bought some farmyard fabric and made some Linus quilts
and some incubator quilts.  So generous.
She had also visited 15minutesplay and made some star blocks like mine!  Her colour choices are a bit more subtle though!  Thanks to all who brought show and tell, and see you next time!



1 comment:

cottonreel said...

Really beautiful quilts . I look forward to your blog .
I remember the Country quilt in patchwork and quilting mag,. I wanted to do it myself but couldn't get the whole set of patterns together
At Malvern I bought a book by Leisure press called Floral quilts from Granny's attic . A beautiful book , lovely quilts .
I had seen one of the quilts on a stand . The book then became a must have . I have the fabrics ready to start